No Need to Panic: Solutions for Cracked Teeth
The dental enamel on the outside of your teeth is the strongest substance in your body. That being said, even the mighty can fall, and it is not uncommon for our teeth to get cracks from time to time. The culprit could be anything from chewing on a piece of hard candy, chomping away at a piece of ice, or even taking a tumble and banging your mouth during the fall. If you realize that you may have a cracked tooth, it is important not to panic.
Treatment for a cracked tooth can vary and will be determined based on the severity and location of the crack. It is imperative to have any possible crack checked to ensure the damage can be repaired and doesn’t lead to further problems. There are several options to repair the tooth:
- Dental bonding – This is one of the easiest repair options typically used for the front teeth. It is the least invasive, not requiring anesthesia and can be completed in one appointment.
- Dental filling – A filling would be used on a rear molar with minimal damage. The shape and strength of the tooth is restored.
- Dental crown – For more serious cracks, a crown would be used to cover the damaged tooth, eliminating further problems. The crown is a strong, durable solution that acts like a cap covering the entire tooth.
If you discover or think you may have a cracked tooth, it is important to be seen by our office as soon as possible. While you are waiting for your dental appointment, there are a number of self-care measures to attempt and relieve any discomfort:
- Use an over-the-counter pain reliever and rinse your mouth with salt water.
- Eat soft foods, being careful not to chew on the cracked tooth.
- If the crack has any jagged or sharp edges, cover the area of the tooth with paraffin wax to keep it from damaging the inside of your cheek, lip, or tongue.
At Today’s Dental Comfort, we help patients in the Burton, MI and surrounding area with their dental needs. If you feel you may have a cracked tooth, please contact our office today to schedule an appointment. We strive to give happy and healthy smiles to the whole family.